There are several protein technologies that have been in place for decades using microbial and animal cell cultures but each of these systems has its limitations. ABI takes advantage of the unique characteristics found in plant systems to overproduce recombinant proteins. In particular, we select proteins that are not well-suited to traditional expression systems. The system of choice is maize grain, for which ABI has issued and pending patents that favor high expression and efficient processing.
ADVANTAGES OF ABI’S PLATFORM TECHNOLOGY
1. Low cost of production
2. Low upfront capital costs
3. Produces animal-free products
4. No purification required for applications utilizing direct delivery of maize grain in food/feed or industrial applications (eg. oral vaccines, industrial enzymes, food or feed enzymes)
5. Protein can be stored in grain for years without loss of activity
6. Proven commercial potential